Founded in 1951.
Originally a fishing outpost for Camp Nebagamon, Mim and Charlie Erdmann purchased Voyageur Camp in 1950, adopting a mission: to foster personal growth through group interaction in a wilderness setting. In 1984 John and Deb Erdmann took over administration of camp, continuing the family tradition.
The kids of Cabin One in 1952
Founder Charlie Erdmann was a pioneer camp professional who taught physical education and coached collegiate athletics all of his life. His tenure coaching DePauw University and camping always emphasized full participation. He knew boys learn best by doing. Campers are expected to participate together in all activities offered at camp, which helps them collaborate and succeed in their relationships with fellow campers.
Camp Voyageur founder Charles P. Erdmann proudly displays his camp tshirt.
The Camp Voyageur program still revolves around in-camp sports and activities coupled with wilderness camping. Some campers prefer the in-camp fun to adventure on the trail. An energetic and creative staff make camp fun. Friendships develop as campers and counselors share outdoor living experiences. Over the last two decades, older campers have taken wilderness expeditions beyond our region.
The 25-foot eight-man war canoe arrived in 1967.